Saturday, March 14, 2009

SHOW AND TELL - A BLAST FROM THE PAST

Kev and I are coming up on our seventh wedding anniversary in June. To celebrate, we always do something to remind us either of our wedding day or our honeymoon. Our wedding took place in the Gunnison National Forest in Colorado - kind of hard to duplicate that here on the Great Plains. Our honeymoon was a six week adventure exploring all of Italy. As strange as it may sound, pieces of that trip are actually easier to duplicate. Think wine, picnics, beaches, fountains, gelato, leisurely meals.

Anyway, one of the silliest places we visited on our luna de miele was the Leaning Tower of Pisa. We couldn't justify being in Italy for that long and not at least seeing it. Talk about a tourist trap! It really is just a building that leans and is supported by cables. Vendors have set up shop all around it selling things like mini versions of the tower that light up, t-shirts with corny slogans, etc. How aggravating!

We are more the kind of couple who enjoys spots off the beaten path, so this was not our idea of fun. So instead we made our own fun. We donned our snorkeling gear and walked around asking people to take pictures of us. Everyone we asked actually snapped a shot for us, and some of them were great. Here's my favorite.



Be sure to check out what the other kids are showing this week.

22 comments:

Lollipop Goldstein said...

You two are too funny. What a great shot. We actually only had one day in that area and decided to do San Gimignano instead. Did we make the right choice?

Anonymous said...

That's a great picture! Ha! Six weeks! What a great honeymoon!

Anonymous said...

I love this picture! You guys seem like so much fun.

AnotherDreamer said...

Ha, that is a wonderful momento! Love it :)

JuliaS said...

What a funny picture and a great story!

Are you from Colorado? I mostly grew up there - in the Springs area. Really miss the mountains.

Thanks for sharing!

(And I am totally jealous of a 6 week honeymoon!)

Kristin said...

That is absolutely hysterical and I love it! I visited there years ago when you could still go up to the top.

The Steadfast Warrior said...

Ha ha ha! That's an awesome photo!! I would love to go to Italy.

Anonymous said...

I lived in Italy during college. I too was not fascinated by the tower. We actually went during a day that was pouring down rain. I too my picutre from the bus. As Mel mentioned. I have also been to San Gimignano. Great spot in La Toscana.
I wrote about my wedding for my show and tell- funny!

Anonymous said...

I lived in Italy during college. I too was not fascinated by the tower. We actually went during a day that was pouring down rain. I too my picutre from the bus. As Mel mentioned. I have also been to San Gimignano. Great spot in La Toscana.
I wrote about my wedding for my show and tell- funny!

'Murgdan' said...

I freakin' LOVE it! And yes, that would have REALLY spiced up PISA!

Photogrl said...

Great shot!

How much fun you two must have had!

Beautiful Mess said...

Great picture! i love that you two were wearing your snorkeling gear! it's perfect and so adorable! Thank you for sharing.

one-hit_wonder said...

That is most excellent!

..al said...

Seriously, did not anyone ask you why the heck were you two wearing snorkelling gear to be taking pictures only on land and a tower of all the places?

Funny idea really! All the best...I hope you have several such fantastic holidays coming up for ya!

Anonymous said...

6 weeks in Italy! That really outshines my one week at an outdated resort in the Pocanos in upstate New York, lol!

You guys seem like you have a great sense of humor...definitely needed to keep a great marriage, especially in the midst of IF.

Eve

Cara said...

Oh Gine - you had me at wine!!! (but mmm the gelato sounds amazing too.)

I am 100 percent Italiano and WILL get there someday, but I'll be emailing you for the do and don't visits - off the beaten path sounds great!!

GINA and KEV said...

We did NOT go to San Gimignano. I just looked it up and I really don't know how we could have missed something so magnificent. Dammit!

Carrie said...

I love that idea! This is a great twist on "will you take a picture of us?"

Great show and tell! :)

Carrie

m said...

Great photo! And great attitude. What else can you do when you realize where you are isn't exactly where you want to be? Get out the snorkeling gear!

Liv said...

When we were in Italy we took out the map and I saw where Pisa was and how totally out of the way it was from where we wanted to go. So, we scrapped it - I was a bit dissappointed, but your description makes me feel better. Glad you were able to make it a fun experience anyway!

Oh, and if my ancestor photo inspires you, I don't mind at all that you do the same! I love giving life to old pictures that otherwise would never leave the page of the album or photo box.

Ali said...

LOL- what fun! really hoping to make it to Italy one day..if I can do it on a six week honeymoon I'll be in heaven hehe

Christina Claassen said...

Gina, we still have the leaning tower nightlight in the girls' bedroom, and we have pictures of you two in your snorkeling gear on our fridge. I think you're awesome!

 
Template by suckmylolly.com