Sunday, April 19, 2009

SHOW & TELL - TWO FROM THE HEARTLAND




Two weeks ago, Kev and I took a day trip to Lexington, Missouri to see what we could see. It's a cute little town I'd never even heard of, but it was on the map and on our way to find Kev's ancestors' burial sites in Carrolton (another town I'd never heard of). The relatives we were looking for (and found!) are also relatives of General Patton (brother, uncle, grandfather, something - I don't remember). But I digress. Look closely at that picture of the courthouse above. In the lower left quadrant, you'll see a column with some writing on it. It reads, "Battle of Lexington Sept 18, 19, 20 1861." Directly above the writing, you'll find the canon ball that has been lodged there ever since. Pretty cool, huh?

After spending about ninety minutes looking for the Patton plot, we headed home. We did not, however, make a beeline home; we stopped at a local winery for a tasting and a bottle (or six) to go. It's funny how wine from those little local wineries can taste so good - even though I would not normally touch wine that sweet. Although, I must take this opportunity to give props to my home state. The story goes that most of the wine that is currently produced in France is actually grown on vines that were sent there from Missouri to replace the plants that were devastated during France's bug blight of the 1860's. Also pretty cool, huh?





Go see who else is standing at the head of the class today.

13 comments:

Billy said...

That hole of the canon - very cool! A real feel of history.

'Murgdan' said...

Love wine tastings...the chance to try so many different things.

...miss wine tastings. ;-)

Anonymous said...

We have so many wineries here on the fingerlakes. You always end up buying something different than usual.

Mrs. Gamgee said...

Locally made wines always taste so much better than the stuff that travels from Europe or even across the country. Sounds like you had a great day!

Anonymous said...

Oh that sounds so fun! I've got to get me to a winery soon!!! We live right near TONS of them in MO (I'm on the Illinois side of St. Louis).

Cara said...

Wine tastings get me every time! Enevitable I find at least two varities I just HAVE to bring home...in bulk!

Kristin said...

Sounds like y'all had a fabulous time.

Anonymous said...

If you and your Honey travel through Lexington again, drive down Main St. and visit the shops. There are quite a few cute ones, and an amazing coffee shop called Enigma Rarities. They have first-edition books, historic newspapers, ancient pottery and it's all for SALE! Along with the great coffee and tea. Safe travels on ALL your journeys!

Lori Lavender Luz said...

I love the idea of US wine saving the French.

Good guess on Name That Blogger!, but not the one I am looking for.

New clue is up!

Taylor said...

What an interesting little peice of history and how neat that there is a relation to Patton! I hope the wine goes down well. Cheers!

..al said...

Hope you enjoy that wine that you bought! Pretty cool trip, Pretty cool finds!

Beautiful Mess said...

I want to come over and sample some of that wine! Glad you had a great time. The pictures are beautiful!

aimeemax said...

The cannonball does look cool! Who knew? And yes, I totally agree wiht you about the winery wines - they do always taste better when you're there and in the mood.

:o)

 
Template by suckmylolly.com