Saturday, August 9, 2008

IN STIRRUPS ONCE AGAIN (WARNING - TMI)

I have a really good feeling about this cycle. Everything seems to be falling in to place, and everyone (Kev, Dr.Z, his nurse) is really positive about this round of IUI. And that brings us to today.

Today marks the first day of this 2WW. I HATE the 2WW. But, I suppose one good thing about going back to work on Tuesday is the fact that it will keep my mind off wondering about the possibility - even if only for 8-10 hours a day.

Let me tell you a little bit about how the IUI works. I first have to pump my body full of hormones for a couple of weeks (see two posts down) to turn my ovaries into super-duper-egg-makers. The night before the IUI, Kev & I do a little baby dance, after which I stay horizontal for as long as possible to keep gravity working in the little swimmers' favor. The day of the IUI, Kevin makes a "deposit" into a sterile receptacle and we rush it to the doctor's office about 35 minutes away. Dr. Z takes the sample and puts it onto a centrifuge and washes it so that there is just sperm - no extra stuff needed. I lie back with my feet in stirrups,while Dr.Z opens me up and inserts a super long catheter into my cervix and injects the sample. PhotobucketHe says a little prayer and a yabba-daba-do, then he closes up my cervix and I lie on the table with cold metal equipment hanging out of me for about 20 minutes. That night, to give us better chances of conceiving, we do another little baby dance.

The whole process is only minorly painful. Mostly mild cramping except for the fact that my ovaries are the size of oranges by this time and are very tender, so when Dr. Z was looking for my cervix and pushing on my abdomen, I yelped like a puppy being punished. He told me to stop laughing. Laughing. I wish. I'm mostly praying my ass off. Please do the same.

6 comments:

Misty Dawn said...

good luck!!!! you deserve this so much!!!

Unknown said...

Good luck! I'm praying for you two! :)

Love,
Ari

Anonymous said...

Oh Gina - good luck girl! I'm saying lots of prayers for you two!

Anonymous said...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and Kevin! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Love ya gina and kev, I am praying for you. I feel good about it too! You both are in my thoughts!

Anonymous said...

we need a lil' gina/kevin's running around...my thoughts and prayers are with you. love you!!

 
Template by suckmylolly.com