Friday, June 5, 2009

A MESSAGE FROM GOD?

Every year, my family rents a few cabins at a little local lake that has been a well-kept secret for a decade or more. It's absolutely gorgeous, cost-effective, and relatively quiet. I don't know why more people haven't heard about it, but it's fine with me. I like having the sunset to myself. I like knowing that the cabins will be available next year on the weekend I want. I like being able to enjoy my family while participating in all kinds of outdoor activities. We camp, build bonfires, boat, fish, golf, play bocci, cook for each other, play board games, fly kites, walk dogs, play our own version of volleyball, and about a dozen more things. This year was no different. Family fun was had by all, and a few family announcements were made, as well.

That's right. My nephew, who just got married two months ago, announced that they are expecting a tiny bundle of joy at the beginning of 2010. It's a wonderful thing! My nephew's new wife brings to the union a beautiful (and quite tall!) five year old princess from a previous marriage. With the promise of a new baby on the way, they are sure to be the perfect little happy family. And they're all just as sweet as can be. Which is why I hated the way I reacted when I heard the news. I simply said, "Oh, that's great!" and promptly left the room to keep from crying. I couldn't even squeak out the word "congratulations" before sneaking out. I wanted them to know that I am excited for them and that I think they are going to be wonderful parents together and that I wish them all the happiness in the world. I just couldn't say it. And now I feel like such an asshole.

My sister-in-law saw how I was affected by the announcement, and she came outside to talk to me. She comforted me and assured me that she prays for Kev and me all the time. Sometimes people say this and you can just tell it isn't true. But somehow I knew that she was telling the truth. She went on to say that recently she has been getting the feeling that when she prays, she should no longer be praying for a child for us, but for peace instead. When she told me this, I about lost my mind. What it sounds like to me is that I will not have children, and that I need to find peace in my heart and accept this fact. Terrifying. She reassured me that this was not the feeling she's been getting, but rather, God has the babies figured out for us and we need peace until that happens. I hope that's all her message from God means. I am definitely not ready to give up trying to create a family. I am not giving up. I am not! I don't want to seek that kind of peace.

I also explained to her that now that we're doing IVF, we will have to pull our adoption profile because we won't be able to afford both IVF and open adoption. She told me that she strongly feels that we are not supposed to pull our profile. She thinks that we are supposed to leave it in place and if we get matched, we will roll with it. She said we should not worry about the money, that the money is not important and that it will come if we need it. I hadn't considered this. I thought it had to be one way or the other. But, honestly, I like her idea better. I like keeping our options open. We've been trying to start a family for six years. I don't like closing any doors to that opportunity - no matter how financially prohibitive they seem.

So I think that's our plan. We pursue IVF and keep our adoption profile in place. If we are matched for an adoption, wonderful! If we conceive through IVF, wonderful! If both happen at the same time... DOUBLE WONDERFUL! I can't imagine a happier answer to this infertility question we posed six years ago.

For this idea, I would like to thank my sweet (and brilliant) sister-in-law. I would also like to thank God for giving her the grace to talk to me about this. I would also like to congratulate my nephew on their pregnancy. Maybe we'll have kids a few months apart. *Fingers crossed*

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think your plan is wonderful.

to me, we have to do all that is in our power to get what we want, to make what we want to happen - and like you are doing, keep your options as open as possible - then god can make the right things happen for us.

i'll be praying for you!!

xoxo

~jd

Misty Dawn said...

prayers for a double blessing...

Just Believing said...

super post and i totally agree ( not that that matters) to keep all doors open and trust in HIM :)

praying for you!!!

www.wondrafulbaby.blogspot.com

Photogrl said...

I hate when I'm happy for someone, yet my IF wounds make it hard to show it.

I'm glad that you SIL was there and talked to you.

I think your plan is perfect.

((HUGS))

Hope in Virginia said...

This is very powerful. Quick story, a few weeks ago I was feeling so frustrated that I wasn't getting clear direction from God...I just wanted to hear a booming voice from Heaven saying "you will be pregnant soon, just be patient" or something like that.

A few mornings later on a Sunday, our clock radio alarm went of and it happened to be in the middle of a sermon. And, no kidding, the pastor was saying something to the effect of "God is in control. Not everything can go as you plan. You have to have faith."

My husband and I bolted up in bed, looked at each other and said, wow, God's yelling at us this morning! Anyways, just a little story and a source of peace during this trying time. Take care and God bless!

 
Template by suckmylolly.com